Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Neil Mawson - Pembroke

I used to go to Pembroke with my dad when I was younger all the time. We would trad climb all year and pembroke for me was the best place to do it. So many amazing routes on steep limestone with bomber gear. I don't get down there enough now, but last weekend I dragged myself away form the sport climbing and went there for 3 days with Steve and Keith.


I've not trad climbed much over the last few years so I just went and did some classic routes I'd not done before. The best of which was Darkness at Noon in Huntsmans. I've always loved the atmosphere when climbing in Huntsmans especially on this route, right down at the seaward end of the zawn, with the other wall right behind you it feels very dark and imposing.


Coiling the ropes after a long day. Photo: Keith Sharples

It was great to go out and enjoy climbing for a change rather than putting pressure on myself to achieve something every time I go out sport climbing. I always enjoy climbing in pembroke and hopefully I'll get back there some time soon. But for now it's back to sport climbing, and I'm off to Ceuse tomorrow, not a bad place to be going!

No comments:

Post a Comment